The Heart of the Beast Hardcover

The Heart of the Beast Hardcover - Dean Motter, Judith Dupre, Sean Phillips This graphic novel was originally published in 1998 by Vertigo and is to be re-released in hardcover on 05th August 2014.

Sandra meets Victor (Frankenstein), whilst bar-tending at an art exhibition and immediately invites him to her off Broadway show, she is also a part time actress. It is inevitable that Sandra is going to fall head over heels for the mysterious stranger.

There is no horror here at all and I struggled to find a story. I found Sandra's character too insipid and Victor was barely a character at all.

The art style reminded me of the photo stories that were quite popular in teen magazines in the 80's, and that extremely popular a-ha video, you know the one, photos mixed with paint & charcoal drawings, mixed media.

I did not like the art at all in this graphic novel, and I am not certain that I would have liked it sixteen* years ago either, on the whole it just wasn't for me, on top of which I found the story to be tedious and melodramatic. If this novel was critically acclaimed several decades ago, I am not certain that it has withstood the passage of time.

* The edition published by Vertigo in 1998 is the only other edition I could find, I assume as 2014 is the 20th anniversary that there is another.

I received an ARC from the publishers for an honest review.

Urthwild